Taynton Metal Detecting Club
The Gannets

Papal Seals

Papal seals, or bullae in Latin, were intended to authenticate official documents sent from Rome and were attached by cords of red and yellow silk or by hemp through the centre. In later times they were attached to ’indulgences’ - a remission of temporal sins granted by the Church. Papal bullae are known from graves (eg The Hospital and Priory of St Mary Spitals, Spitalfields) and these may have been buried with the owners in the belief that they would spend less time in purgatory.

Papal Bulla
1271 - 1276.
Hartpury.